It’s finally hump day, hallelujah. Now we can start figuring out all the fun stuff we want to do this weekend.
I’m definitely going to hit up the literary talk tonight (I love knowing authors’ dirty secrets and quirks), heading to the Moshulu SwagFoodPhilly party on Thursday and probably going to see Jon Lovitz on Friday (he’s such an entertaining weirdo, I’m curious to see what he’s been up to).
On Saturday I have a big birthday celebration for some friends replete with out-of-town guests so we are hitting up the Zoo (and the beer garden) and then heading to dinner at Jaxon (BYOB recently recognized by Philly Mag). On Sunday, I plan to recuperate and probably won’t be activity-ing too much. But for those of you who still want more, don’t fret, I have date ideas for Sunday too…just keep scrolling.
Here’s wishing you a wonderful start to the weekend! Hope to see you out and about.
- What: Author Talk: Literary Philadelphia
- Where: The Library Company – 1314 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107
- When: 5:30-6:30 p.m.
- Cost: $10 for members, $15 for non-members
- Why Go: The author of Literary Philadelphia, Thom Nickels, will be giving a talk on some of Philly’s biggest and baddest writers. Nickels has lots of fun insider scoops. Benny Frank was a little Trumpy in his immigration ideas. The person who wrote The Virginian was a Philadelphian. Louisa May Alcott lived the first two years of her life in Philly.
- Extra Credit: Drinks/Dinner at nearby Maison 208 or Bud & Marilyn’s.
- What: SwagFoodPhilly Mystery Menu Party!
- Where: The Deck on Moshulu, 401 S. Columbus Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19106
- When: 7:00-9:00 p.m.
- Cost: $45
- Why Go: The girls behind the wildly popular food instagram, SwagFoodPhilly, are throwing a mystery menu party. Given their obsession with food, I’m guessing it will be pretty good. Ticket includes a specialty cocktail.
- Extra Credit: Take a stroll around Spruce Street Harbor Park. Get home in time to watch the end of the Eagles first pre-season game versus the Packers (starts at 8 p.m.).
- What: Jon Lovitz Stand-Up
- Where: Helium Comedy Club, 2031 Sansom Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103
- When: 7:30 pm.
- Cost: $30 general admission
- Why Go: It’s Jon Lovitz.
- Extra Credit: Go to Friday Saturday Sunday for drinks and nibbles – 5 minute walk from the club.
- What: Brooklyn Brewery Beer Mansion Philly
- Where: The Woodlands Cemetery and Mansion, 4000 Woodland Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19104
- When: 6:00-10:00 p.m.
- Cost: $65
- Why Go: Looks like a fun evening of eating (Revolution Taco, Bar Amis, DiBruno Brothers cheese), live music, games, “high art” and drinking (bloody mary bar). Plus, it’s held near a cemetery.
- Extra Credit: Read Elizabeth Gilbert’s The Signature of All Things beforehand and check out the site that inspired White Acre.
- What: Philly S.E.E.D. (Sustainable Everyday Edibles and Drinkables) Festival
- Where: SugarHouse Casino, 1001 N. Delaware Avenue, Philadelphia 19125
- When: 3:00-6:00 p.m.
- Cost: $35+
- Why Go: Drink and eat with a clear conscience. 20% of proceeds go to the Humane League of Philadelphia.
- Extra Credit: Go to the gym afterwards.
Pop culture enthusiast. Lover of all things Philly. Amateur Chef. Planner of fun date nights.